Friday, July 11, 2008

What is Beauty?












Several e mails have come in from readers comparing kitten Eddy to a Golliwog doll. One helpful reader even sent a photo of a Golliwog doll as I had no idea what they were talking about.




First of all, Eddy would never wear a bow tie. Secondly, I think Eddy is very, very, beautiful.





A beautiful blogger gave me a gift set of Estee Lauder perfumes. I took them home and began sniffing. Just days later I had an interesting moment with a woman in a market.
I don't often go to this particular market, but in one crowded aisle I squeezed past this woman who smelled really nice --and the scent was vaguely familiar. I had to go back and tell her she smelled nice. Although she looked as if she had the weight of the world on her shoulders, she perked right up and told me she was wearing Estee Lauder's Beautiful. All I can say is, she wore it very well. The woman had a British accent, and as I looked into her eyes and listened to her talk about the perfume, I realized she and I had had a brief encounter before, maybe a year or so ago, in this very store while choosing items from one of the British & Irish aisles. She was beautiful.


I'm not surprised that perfumer Sophia Grojsman created Beautiful, with head notes of rose and lily, heart notes of orange flower and more lily, in a sparkly vetiver, amber, and sandalwood base. But it's a stronger floral than most of her creations, so only a small percentage of women can really wear it beautifully.